Saturday, April 10, 2010

April 11th

If you google "What happened on April 11th in history" nothing really significant will come up. On April 11, 1947 Jackie Robinson played an exibition game with the Brooklyn Dodgers and became the first black baseball player. On April 11, 1961 Bob Dylan began his professional music career with a performace in Greenwich Village. On April 11, 1970 Apollo 13 was launched. On April 11, 1983 "Ghandi" beat "E.T." and "Tootsie" and won the Oscar for Best Picture. The list goes one, but there's one thing missing from the list. On April 11, 1990 my dad passed away.

It's hard to believe that it's been twenty years since he's been gone. They say that time heals all things, and to an extent it does, but time can never make it go away completely. There are still times I think about him. I hear friends talk about their dads and can't help but wonder what my relationship with my dad would've been. I often wonder what my husband's relationship with him would've been. There's so many "what ifs" but unfortunately there's no way to turn back the clock. The only thing I can do is make the most of the situation.
I know that our experiences are a large factor in shaping who we are, and I know that this is no different. I'm proud of the woman I've become, and I know my dad would be too. I know that I'll see him again one day and that he's watching me every day from Heaven.

Daddy, I love you and I miss you!

No comments:

Post a Comment