Sunday, September 25, 2011

I've learned I have a lot to learn!

I'm officially registered for the marathon and have begun my training. One thing that I've learned is that I have a LOT to learn. Running a marathon isn't as simple as running - as long as you can, as far as you can, as often as you can. Just doing that will quickly lead to injury and burnout. I've become a bit of a sponge, trying to learn as much as I can so that I can succeed. Here's what I've realized that I know little to nothing about when it comes to long distance running:

Running- This seems simple enough, but its not. At least if you want to prepare yourself in a way to actually succeed. How far do you run? How long? What shoes do I need? Luckily these answers are easy to find online. I'm using Hal Higdon's "Super Novice" running plan, which is a 30 week program and breaks it down day by day of what you should do. As for shoes, local running stores can analyze your running and determine what shoes would be best for you. 

Eating- After spending a couple days this week feeling sick or starving all the time, I realized that it was because I didn't know how to eat, or rather, WHAT to eat. Eating a healthy, low cal diet isn't going to cut it, but I've yet to figure out what the balance is so that I can lose weight AND have enough to sustain me on runs. 

Stretching, weight training, balancing runs with the rest of life...these are all other components that I've yet to figure out. Luckily I've still got some time.


Days until marathon: 224
Total Miles Run this week: 13

No comments:

Post a Comment